Monday 24 November 2014

Chivas Regal 12 Year Old



Quite some time ago I stated that I would post a Chivas tasting. The time has come.The famous Chivas Regal is well known for its smooth and approachable nature. This is a whisky that I have been acquainted with and enjoyed since my later teen years. It has appeared under many a Christmas tree wrapped in shiny paper, never failing to elicit a big grin. For me this is a great go-to or everyday whisky. What it lacks in complexity it more than makes up for in comfort.

In order to match the smoothness I have paired this tasting with the smooth grooves of Portisheads' first album "Dummy". This group from Bristol, England is well known for their Trip Hop sound. The beats and grooves mixed with the beautiful, emotive voice of Beth Gibbons rarely find themselves in situations where they are out of place.

Nose: The honey sweetness of the grains is accompanied by notes of vanilla and a slight minty quality. I also detected an ever so subtle touch of smoke.

Palate: Very smooth. The nose does not lie or hide any surprises.

Finish: Very smooth, not too long and not too short.

It is no wonder that this whisky is so popular. It is incredibly smooth and easy going. As I had said earlier it is not overly complex but it certainly provides comfort and warmth.

The pairing with the music works too. The music provides a fantastic backdrop for the whisky. The brooding emotion of the voice blended with the steady beats never overwhelm yet never completely disappearing.

No comments: