Tuesday 10 June 2014

Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition 1



Today marks the 46th anniversary of the release of the Rolling Stones Exile on Main Street. This album appears on many "all time greatest" lists. I would certainly place it somewhere in my top 100. For some reason this album really works as a whole and it is a pleasure to listen to. The tracks are blues, gospel and country influenced rock. There is a certain groove about it that makes me want to move. Not surprisingly the band members did not mark it as one of there finest works; sometimes it is our greatest achievements that we criticise the most. The album was number one on the UK charts upon its release and again upon its re-release in 2010. This is apparently the only time an album has hit #1 in both its original release and its re-release.

As I enjoy this classic of the rock and roll world I will pair it with another classic (at least by name). The Bruichladdich Laddie Classic Edition #1. This whisky has no age statement and was aged in american oak and bourbon barrels. The distillery website compares the characteristics of this expression to Kate Moss and Audrey Hepburn. I must admit that sounds pretty appealing. Lets see if my senses can make the same comparison.

The colour is stunning like golden honey.

Nose: Orange, vanilla and bourbon greet at first then I am reminded of the sweetness of bubblegum or club soda. Very sweet smelling stuff.  

Palate: molasses, orange and cotton candy splash across the palate followed by a slight peppery (jalepeno) prickling.

Finish: The finish is long and dry, a nod to the bourbon barrels used reveals itself towards the end.

A wonderful dram; though I don't know about comparing it to the likes of Kate Moss, Audrey Hepburn or any woman for that matter. I also didn't chose a great music pairing. I found the whisky to be fairly complex, with many subtle scents and flavours that I was unable to pick out and define due to the fullness of the music. This complexity may have benefited from a more subtle music, perhaps some classical music to accompany the "classic laddie".

No comments: